ADA National Network Learning Session: Emergency Stair Travel Devices
13th June, 2019
Safe, efficient travel along stairs is a key component of an emergency evacuation plan, in a high-rise or any building where the evacuation path includes stairways. There is a wide range of emergency stair travel devices, each with a unique combination of features to promote occupant and operator safety. The webinar will provide an overview of several devices of the carry-type, track-type, or sled-type design categories. Additionally, the results of a FEMA-funded study of both physical demands on device operators and consumer opinion of the devices will be included. Recent efforts to establish a performance standard for the devices will also be presented.
- Identify the three main design types of emergency stair travel devices used during building evacuation.
- Identify three design features which are intended to promote the safety of device occupants.
- Identify two design features which promote the safety of device operators.
- Identify two ANSI/RESNA ED-1 test methods intended to ensure a minimum level of performance of emergency stair travel devices.
Steve Lavender is an associate professor in Integrated Systems Engineering and Orthopaedics at The Ohio State University. His research focuses on the development and evaluation of ergonomics interventions. Recent projects include the development of ergonomic interventions for the patient handling tasks in the fire service, the identification of factors that affect the adoption of ergonomic interventions, the evaluation of emergency evacuation devices used in high rise buildings, and the design of hospital patient room designs that facilitate the work for all hospital staff members.
Glenn Hedman is a Rehabilitation Engineer and Clinical Associate Professor at UIC. His research is focused on performance criteria for emergency evacuation devices. He is a past president of RESNA, the Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America, and serves as Chair of the RESNA Assistive Technology Standards Committee on Emergency Stair Travel Devices used by Individuals with Disabilities.
- Emergency Stair Travel Devices Webinar (pptx)
- Emergency Stair Travel Devices Webinar(pdf)
- Emergency Stair Travel Devices Webinar 2 slides per page (pdf)
- Emergency Stair Travel Devices Webinar(rtf)
- Transcript 6-13-19(pdf)
- Transcript 6-13-19(rtf)