ADA National Network Learning Session: Using the California Power Safety Power Outages for Inclusive Emergency Planning
14th May, 2020
This webinar will focus on the 2019 California Public Safety Power Shut-offs (PSPS) including stories from the community, barriers experienced, coordination across public and private agencies, and effective strategies that could become best practices. Working together as individuals to build a resilient community that keeps each other safe, aware, engaged and informed is a part of how we need to plan for the future. Learn how the California Foundation for Independent Living Centers (CFILC) and Independent Living Centers (ILC) are partnering with other stakeholders across the state to support people with disabilities and older adults during different types of disasters.
- Understand and recognize the specific barriers that people with disabilities and older adults experience during PSPS events.
- Learn about strategies on how to improve communication and coordination of services for individuals with disabilities and older adults.
- Learn where to go for resources when you or your community is impacted.
Christina Mills is the Executive Director of the California Foundation for Independent Living Centers. She has over 20 years of experience as a professional in the disability rights field and has been working closely with stakeholders to develop strategies for individuals with disability access and functional needs to maintain their independence and quality of life during diverse disasters. Her organizations has also been at the forefront of coordinating on the ground durable medical equipment and assistive technology support for those who have been displaced during a disaster.
Ana Acton is the Executive Director of FREED Center for Independent Living. Ana has over 15 years' experience in providing direct services and leadership for independent living community-based services in California. FREED Center for Independent Living provides a wide range of services to people with disabilities living in Nevada, Yuba, Sutter, Colusa, and Sierra counties in California. As a non-profit Independent Living Resource Center, FREED's goal is to empower people with disabilities to exercise their civil rights in becoming active, productive members of our community.
- Using the California Power Safety Power Outages for Inclusive Emergency Planning(pptx)
- Using the California Power Safety Power Outages for Inclusive Emergency Planning(pdf)
- Using the California Power Safety Power Outages for Inclusive Emergency Planning 2 slides per page (pdf)
- Using the California Power Safety Power Outages for Inclusive Emergency Planning(rtf)
- Transcript 05-14-20(pdf)
- Transcript 05-14-20(rtf)
- Archived Session Recordings